How I lost weight while traveling the world
My lifestyle is the biggest factor to my fluctuating weight, especially after giving birth to my beautiful daughter – working in an extremely demanding job that requires to continuously be on the run and flying every week, contributed a lot to my lack of conscious eating and, the last person I was taking care of, was myself.
For years, I was running into many different directions all at once. My only constant source of exercise was my daily yoga routine but my food habits, despite always being a clean eater, would be in all sorts of directions. There would be days I would skip breakfast because I was ‘too busy’ to sit and enjoy a quiet conscience meal and, lunch or dinner would always be on the go with constantly snacking on healthy foods.
My eating habits were not only the problem, with time, I started to realize that after every flight, my stomach would start bloating up for many days and I was not myself anymore. It would be difficult to even fit in my dress for work or focus on projects when my mood was very low and I lacked energy.
After certain foods, despite having taken the intolerance test, I seemed to still be ‘gaining weight’ while the constant bloating was still a major issue. Then, one day, I fell extremely ill.
I’ve turned to every diet book, program and institute there is and this time, I wasn’t going to give up until I found a new approach, a program that was finally with me during every step of the way, no matter what part of the world I was in.
Here is how I lost weight while traveling the world
- I started the De Novu Program I lost 8 kilos while traveling the world because of a program called De Novu, a holistic approach to weight loss stepping away from overused, traditional methods or crash diets. It is focused more on interactive and supportive techniques for life-lasting results. In 2017 alone, De Novu members lost a total of 1541 KG and some of their members lost over 60KG. The approach looks at adopting a healthier controlled lifestyle and teaches members how to make this a habit , to not only achieve an individual’s target weight, but for them to be able to maintain it for good. I was part of a community at De Novu, which was always, without a doubt, there for me whenever I would hop on a plane.
- I Quit Over Snacking The De Novu Program identified one of my main issues, which was over snacking. I would snack 20 times a day and although it was healthy and clean snacks, it still accumulated and disturbed my rhythm and my gut. I learned to be more conscience of my eating habits and dropped the snacking to twice a day even when traveling the world. I limited my snacks to once after breakfast and another time after lunch. It was simple. It was a habit I had to kick and I couldn’t do it alone. Today, I think twice on what time I snack and am aware if it. I also try to keep the snacks for when I am on the plane since that was the most time my cravings would kick in.
- I Quit Sugar and Watched My Calorie Intake The first few weeks, the De Novu Approach is to eliminate sugar and reduce carbohydrate intake ,. As someone who doesn’t even add sugar to my tea or drinks juice, I discovered how incredibly addicted we are to sugar and how it affects our energy levels. Traveling across the world and cutting sugar was not easy at first at all, I had withdrawal symptoms and my mood was taking over my behavior. Being the stubborn person I am, I was determined to make it through even if it meant hating myself at first. It probably was one of the toughest month I had during the intervention. It was my 3rd week and I was sailing in Norway and I remember waking up that day and every other day after that feeling like my energy levels where higher than before. The bloating was slowly decreasing and I did not feel I had to carry that heavy self of me around, I’ve even notice my face in the mornings did not have that ‘Pouffy blown up’ look. Before I knew it, I felt more determined and more confident during my trips. Today, I travel lighter and happier and I would never give up this feeling for any bar of chocolate or cake!
- I made a friend for life When I signed up with De Novu, I met Dania Halaoui. A certified health coach, a supportive mentor who helped me cultivate a healthier lifestyle with both a diet and mental change in my eating habits. With so much information on the web within our reach, the main focus is always to eat healthy but how reliable are these sources and how do we get started? Having a health coach throughout it all helped me bridge the gap between basic information and knowledge-based implementation. “I live to eat, and not eat to live” I remember telling Dania. We joked around about how she was determined to change that. My health coach stayed in contact with me throughout all my trips, sharing words of encouragement, foods I can and cannot eat during my trip and eventually, I started to learn more and more how to understand the ingredients that where on food boxes, working towards an overall healthier life, nutrition pattern and more. Needless to say, together, we discovered how to cure my leaky gut syndrome and my IBS. My life changed. 180 degrees. She saved me.
- A Weekly Diet Plan In the program with De Novu, I was given a weekly diet plan prepared by a dietician and monitored by my health coach who designed a nutritional meal plan based on my needs, weight goal, intolerances and had to adjust to a new lifestyle. While traveling, I made adjustments to my diet and monitored everything I ate. I made sure that however they cooked my food matched my needs. I would also carry a bottle of water with me to hydrate myself a lot!
- Work-Outs in Hotel Rooms During the De Novu Program , I was assigned to 4 personal training sessions with Nancy, my PT Coach. I was never a fan of the gym, I always opted for Yoga or Pilates and found the gym a little too aggressive for me. Nancy and the way that the sessions were delivered on a 1 – 1 basis in De Novu’s private gym, changed the way I thought about working out with high intensity. She kept the base of my Pilates and Yoga and turned a few exercises into cardio that allowed me to start doing them in the comfort of my own hotel room! Thanks to Nancy, I would wake up and find the edge of the bed for example to work on my arms and push ups. Small exercises to start my heart beating fast and finish it off with yoga.
- Massages with Powerful Benefits Part of the De Novu program is massage therapy. The massage in their program is the Corpotherapy Massage, which is unique to De Novu and combines fat burning, Lymphatic Drainage and indigestion massage techniques. The massage is performed using a manual and machine technique and the benefits of the massage include; breaking down fat, improving circulation, flushing toxins out of the body and reducing water retention. The massage therapists at the De Novu are all DHA Licensed and incredibly knowledgeable about the benefits of the slimming massages and other wellness massages that are available.
Today, I have lost about 8Kgs and back to my initial weight before I got pregnant. ‘I am on stabilization diet’ which is a diet considered for life. Re-introducing slowly the foods I have quit and increasing my quantities slightly. I kicked my sugar cravings to the curb and I couldn’t be happier. I also learned not to demotivate myself if I ever caved in on extra calories such as ice cream or pizza because slipping from time to time is ok as long as you realize when to stop, but continuing to slip because of a slice of pizza is simply a sign of over eating.
Or call De Novu: +97143466044